Monday, September 24, 2012

But is that Art Response's


But is that Art?

Chapter 2: Paradigms and Purposes:

1.       Select one of your own works and relate it to a specific idea presented in this chapter? If you cannot find a connection, describe why your work is divergent.

            Throughout reading this chapter, I feel like my work is similar to that of Medieval philosopher Chartres, whom designed everything in Chartres Cathedral, from its maze to its lofty vaulted nave and wondrous stained glass, alluded to heaven and drew believers to gods kingdom. Although I did not design a Cathedral I feel like I can really relate to his work for many reasons. The first reason is because exacting rules were applied to the design of portals, arches, and windows, and dictated proportions of arches and galleries. Geometry ruled the design of the church itself, built in the form of a cross, with cross-arms proportional to the arms of a human finger. The second thing I can relate to besides  the symmetry and geometry, is the fact that he incorporates glass windows in his works. Similar to a rose window in a cathedral I try to represent  stories through pictures and designs using glass as a medium. I feel like through replicating some of Tiffany's windows, I have learned to portray a medieval/modern aesthetic, by using light and gothic design aspects.

Pick one work in this chapter and answer the following questions. What ideas drive the work selected? Who was it created for? What purpose does fill? What questions does it raise?

            The work I chose to write about is Brillo Boxes created by Andy Warhol.  When I first saw this work, my first reaction was  that it was just a piece of junk and that it shouldn't have been in this book. But from further reading I found out that the idea behind this work, was that "anything can be a work of art, given the right situation and theory." pg 57  A lot of Andy Warhol's work helped spark the transition from macho New York Abstract Expressionism to playful gender-bending postmodernism. pg 54 It seemed like he created it for the sole purpose of changing people's views about art. This work caused philosopher George Dickie  to formulate the "institutional theory of art", according to which art is any artifact...which has had conferred upon it the status of candidate for appreciation by some person or persons acting on behalf of a certain social institution. This means works only have to be baptized as art and accepted by museums, galleries along with gallery directors and art collectors. To me it may not raise as many questions, because I can understand the aesthetics of the work, but to someone whom has no clue about the work, they may have many questions as to what's the meaning behind the work.

 

2.      List any ideas that are new to you in this chapter.

At the beginning of this chapter I was uncertain if i was going to understand anything in this chapter, but oddly enough I understood all of it about portraying aesthetic feelings and all because of Art History 3, but I also learned a lot of interesting things.

3.      Notes:

·         Painting was particularly challenged by the realism of an upstart New medium, photography. pg 35

·         Do Van Gogh  or Okeeffe's irises impress us because they are accurate imitations? Plato would criticize these modern artists for creating a mere image of beauty-hopelessly striving to emulate something ineffable or ideal. pg  35 Great quote

No comments:

Post a Comment