Tuesday, September 18, 2012

But is that Art ? Response's


But is that Art?

Chapter 1: Blood and Beauty:

1.       Select one of your own works and relate it to a specific idea presented in this chapter? If you cannot find a connection, describe why your work is divergent.

            Throughout reading this chapter, I feel like none of my work really relates to any of the ideas presented. I believe my work is more divergent because of the emotions that I express throughout my work. My work always seems to be pleasant, pretty , happy , symmetrical, because that is how I was raised. Like Hume states in the book But is it Art?  everyone has their own taste and personal preference when it comes to anything in life. And I believe my views are much different because I was blessed to be adopted. If I hadn't been adopted I would have probably grown up in an orphanage in a third  world country. But because of my past I feel like i create works that represent how I happy i am in life no matter how hard things get. They are always pleasant and contemporary.

2.       Pick one work in this chapter and answer the following questions. What ideas drive the work selected? Who was it created for? What purpose does fill? What questions does it raise?

            The work I chose to write about is Piss Christ created by Andres Serrano.  I remember when I first saw this work, my first reaction was  that it was a cool religious photo. But when I had learned the title and the medium of the work, my views than  altered a little. Art critic Lippard said "Many people were so disgusted by the title that they could not bear to look at the work; students thought that the image showed a crucifix in toilet or in a jar of urine- neither of which is true" pg 18 Although that notion does help push this work to the next level. Some people may understand the work and some may not, though questions about  its purpose and for whom it was created for arise frequently.  Art critic Lippard stated that "the small wood-and-plastic crucifix becomes virtually monumental as it floats, photographically enlarged, in a deep golden, rosy glow that is both ominous and glorious. The title Piss Christ is crucial to the enterprise, this transforms this easily digestible cultural icon into a sign of rebellion or an object of disgust simply by changing the context in which it is seen." pg 19 Although this work may not have a specific purpose, it does create many views, while still successful in his portrayal of using body fluids as a medium. I guess a few questions that could arise would be Why did he use a crucifix? Was it meant to be rebellious in a religious sense? If so Why? And Why did he use urine instead of blood?

3.      List any ideas that are new to you in this chapter.

I was interested to learn more about how Hume perceives taste. on page 9 Hume emphasized education and experience: men of taste acquire certain abilities that lead to agreement about which authors and artworks are the best.

 

4.      Notes:

·         Blood has interesting similarities to paint.  pg 1

·         Spots of blood on sheets indicates loss of virginity and passage to adulthood.  pg 2

·         Blood can be dangerous with Aids, and Syphilis. pg 2

·         Theory of art as a ritual is producing symbolic value by the use of ceremonies, gestures, and artefacts. pg 4

·         Some of the most infamous art of recent decades became controversial because of its startling presentation of human bodies and body fluids. pg6

·         Similar  to what the critics  of contemporary art feel if a body is to be shown nude, it should resemble Botticelli's Venus or Michelangelo's David. pg 8

·         When you call a thing beautiful, you thereby assert that everyone ought to agree. Though the label is prompted, by subjective awareness or feeling of pleasure, it supposedly has objective application to the world. pg 12

·          

No comments:

Post a Comment